Monday, January 21, 2013

The Decorista Chronicles- DIY Jewelry depot!

Here's a one-stop station for your most often used collection of treasures! And it's pretty easy too!
Now I apologize for not having any pictures of the process since I did this ages back and never took pictures in between, but I'll try my best to explain it as clearly as possible!



Here's what you'll need to get started!



1Your beautiful treasury of most favorite accessories!
2.Printed/patterned ribbon
3.Super strong glue
4.Ruler
5.Shoe box with the lid too
6.Pencils
7.A pair of scissors
8.Cardstock (Thick paper or thin cardboard will do)
9.Ribbon..
and the most important which I apologize for not picturing because I somehow misplaced it..
10.Wooden skewer sticks. You use these mostly to string meat or veggies through!

Instructions:

1.Like I said earlier, this is not the same shoe box I used to make my project since I'd already done it long back. If you like the color of your shoe box like me, you could begin right away. If there's something written on your shoe box on the longer sides, you may wanna cover it up or spray paint the whole thing. Don't worry if anything's on the shorter size, the base won't be seen and the top is gonna be covered with a big, cute ribbon!

2.Next, estimate the whole shoe box into three divisions on the longer side. You can see from the picture that I have 3 rows of bangles in there.This is why you gotta estimate it into three parts length-wise.

3.Next,where you want the first row to go, pierce a hole in the side with a skewer stick, level it using the ruler. TRUST ME, leveling has all the importance in this project! Now take the skewer out on the other side, please make sure your stick isn't coming out at a weird angle 

4. Now leave half a centimeter or so(but not TOO close) just beside that stick and pierce another stick through taking it out on the other side as the first one. Its important to leave a little gap between those two sticks and not let them be too close together. This makes the weight of the bangles be distributed evenly.

If you are confused, look at this:




5.That picture above obviously doesn't go by the real dimensions :) Make sure the last couple of skewers you pierce are at least off  the base of the shoe box by the height of your biggest bangle otherwise you wouldn't be able to fit any in your last row!

6.Now after you are done with the shoe box, center it on the shoe box's lid so that the wrong side is facing up.
Like here:



7.Time to make dividers in the lid! Using thin cardboard cut to size, and on one edge line up some strong glue and press it down for a few secs till it stands straight on its own.
Make as many as you want.

8.Now pretty it up. I lined two pieces of printed ribbons length wise (use glue or double sided tape) on my box and covered the top with a ribbon since there was a little bit of printed writing up there too.

And you are done! This will hold up strong for months. Don't worry about the sticks breaking. They're strong enough to support the weight! You just have to level them right and parallel!

You could decorate it as you like. I figured my bangles and accessories are going to add the bling anyway, so I kept that aspect to a minimum.

Scroll down for more pictures!









See you soon!
XOXO!

8 comments:

  1. I got a lot of shoeboxes at home and this is a perfect way to get rid of them. Ha-ha! It looks so pretty with the silver bow on top. I think, I would add my own spin to it. Maybe I will use a different color and accent pieces for own jewelry box. Thank you for sharing it!

    Paige Low

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Paige! That's the good thing about DIY's they're completely customizable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I was just wondering if you're Asian (or 'desi') Because like you, I have TONS of bangles and have a hard time storing them xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I'm Indian although born in the Middle East and living here ever since :) I can relate to the bangle chaos so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! Yeah, They do tend to pile up, so I guess I'll be making a couple of these xP

    ReplyDelete
  6. its cool,functional, easy to make and attractive, you cant go wrong. thank you for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great but when i want to get off one of the bangles, how i do this?

    ReplyDelete


FRESH IRRESISTABLE IDEAS...

RIGHT TO YOUR INBOX!

* indicates required

View previous campaigns.